Tuesday 24 March 2015


Some Worcestershire Sauce from Baxter

A good dash of Worcestshire sauce gives flavour and piquancy to the most bland of dishes.  (Do they have it in the USA?)

Well here is some good strong Worcestshire theology, courtesy of Richard Baxter who quotes the Worcestshire Profession, (sic).  Baxter accepted the role of Confessions of Faith as guides, although he felt that it was restrictive to impose them.  He had a high opinion of the Westminster Standards, but preferred the use of a core confession that was not as detailed.

Baxter says that the Worcestersire  Profession expressed in brief the sum of his own belief. I quote from Joshua Wilson’s “ An Historical Enquiry concerning the Principles, Opinions and Usages of the English Presbyterians” (1836) who quotes the introductory portion of every paragraph to serve as a specimen of the whole:

" I believe that there is one only God, the Father, infinite in being, wisdom, goodness, and power, &c.

" I believe that mankind, being fallen by sin from God and happiness, under the wrath of God, the curse of his law, and the power of the devil, God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son to be their Redeemer, who, being God, and one with the Father, did take to him our nature, and became man, being conceived of the Holy Ghost in the virgin Mary, and born of her, and named Jesus Christ; and, having lived on earth without sin, and wrought many miracles for awitness of his truth, he gave up himself a sacrifice for our sins, and a ransom for us, in suffering death on the cross, &c.

"I believe that God the Holy Ghost, the Spirit of the Father and the Son, was sent from the Father by the Son, to inspire and guide the prophets and apostles, that they might fully reveal the doctrine of Christ," &c.

The above he entitles in the margin, " Profession of Assent ;" what follows he calls, " Profession of Consent."

" I do heartily take this one God, for my only God and my chief good; and this Jesus Christ for my only Lord, Redeemer, and Saviour ; and this Holy Ghost for my Sanctifier, &c.

" I do also take the ten commandments for a general standing rule of obedience; and the Lord's Prayer for a perfect rule for prayer, most admirable for comprehension of matter, and exactness of method," &c.

" This," he adds, " is my religion : this I profess, subscribe, and stand to. He that professeth this, and lives accordingly, shall by me be taken for a good Christian, by what name or title soever men call him."

I have not been able to source a copy of the Worcestershire Profession / Confession.  Can anyone help?


No comments:

Post a Comment