Wednesday 6 September 2017



Dodderidge and Prayer before Preparation

Philip Dodderidge’s “Lectures on Preaching” may be dated, but it still contains a great amount of biblical and practical wisdom.  Before beginning any sermon preparation Dodderidge wisely counsels prayer:

Begin the work with a solemn address to God. This will lay you in the way of his blessing and assistance ; and will naturally have some good influence to awaken, compose and encourage your soul. It will direct your minds to right ends and views, which is a matter of vast importance. Perhaps a form of prayer might not be improper for that purpose; yet varied with some particular regard to your subject.”

The editor provides such a form of prayer from Dodderidge’s own hand:

“Blessed God ! It is thou that gavest me a rational soul, and upon thee do I depend entirely for the continuance of those capacities with which thou hast endowed me. I am not sufficient of myself, so much as to think anything as I ought, but all my sufficiency is of thee.

I am now engaging in a work of singular importance, in which I would desire to be sensible of the need I have of thy gracious assistance. I beg that thou wilt command my attention to the affair before me. May no vain or intruding thoughts break in upon me to hinder a steady application to my business. 

Direct my mind to proper thoughts; and to the most  agreeable manner of arranging and expressing them.

And may my heart be inflamed with pious affections; that divine truths coming warm from my own soul may more easily penetrate into the souls of my hearers : May I remember that I am not to compose an harangue to acquire to myself the reputation of an eloquent orator ; but that I am preparing food for precious and immortal souls; and dispensing that sacred gospel which my Redeemer brought from heaven, and sealed with his blood.

May I therefore sincerely endeavour to give my discourse the most useful turn, and do thou direct me so to form it, as best to promote the great purpose of christian edification.

And grant, O Lord, that I may receive present refreshment to myself, and future edification from the study of those divine truths I am entering upon.

May this be one of the most delightful employments of my life. While I am watering others may I be watered myself also and bring forth daily more and more fruit, proportionable to the advantages which I enjoy, to the glory of thy great name and the improvement of my everlasting felicity,

Through Jesus Christ. Amen." 

The language may be dated; the thoughts are timeless!


No comments:

Post a Comment