Tuesday 2 June 2015


Your old men shall dream dreams…


Yesterday, on the internet I heard an old man preach.  I was listening to a series of conference addresses and clicked on the next link.  I normally only listen to those addresses, but for some reason of all the fourteen sessions this one alone had no audio only available, so I pressed on the button to start the video.

I saw an old man.  I have no idea of his age but as he referred later to being a preacher for seventy years that must sure place him in his mid to late eighties.  He did not look physically robust and I confess that initially my temptation was to click off and go on to the other speakers such as Paul Washer, Steve Lawson or Voddie Baucham,  big names that I knew, men in their prime, men who would have something solid and inspiring to say.  Perhaps the old man was only there as a polite gesture to a senior evangelical figure, “Give him a slot, it will show how broad we are and non-ageist.”

I did not recognise his name, but that is probably more due to my Scottish parochialism than his right to be recognised.

But I did not switch him off – I’m always uncomfortable with that.  I would never finish a book that I started but did not like, but I think preachers are different.  If I have started to listen, I usually, with few exceptions, persevere, for even a one talent preacher if he is faithful to the Word can be used by the Lord to bring blessing.  (Besides, we don’t do this for live preaching - walk out if it is not as celebrated a preacher as we were expecting.)

I’m glad I listened, for despite his age this was no one talent preacher but a man who had power and passion in his message. And the message itself had solid and challenging content: faith is no mere mental assent, but a heart commitment to Christ as Saviour and Lord that always exhibits its reality in subsequent obedience. I was blessed and challenged.

I happened to be speaking to a ministerial friend the day before.  He was saddened by the lack of that very power and passion in some preachers, even some of the younger generation.  It is so easy for preaching to become a pulpit essay or lecture, a presentation of the truth but without powerful persuasion.  It addresses the mind, but even though there are also words spoken to the heart it does not really touch the heart. 

How can any Reformed evangelical preach a dull and dreary message? I once heard a respected Reformed Baptist say of someone’s preaching, “He could not preach his way out of a paper bag.” He paused and then corrected himself, “No, not even out of a web paper bag!”

Now passion can be shown in different ways.  We have all heard the adage “Start low, go slow, rise high, strike fire.” I have enjoyed preachers like Lloyd Jones, Al Martin and John De Witt who exemplified this as their message moved through “logic on fire” to a crescendo of holy passion. But if there is such a thing as passionless passion, a passion that is there but exhibited in a gentle, slow and focussed manner that is almost conversational, then I have also known powerful preachers who were like that; Dick Lucas comes to mind.  The point is not how we demonstrate that passion, but the fact that it is there, that you can sense the preacher totally believes what they are proclaiming and wants you to totally believe it and act upon it.

If I have half the passion of that old man when I am his age then I would count it a blessing:

Listen: Richard Owen Roberts, Session 4




No comments:

Post a Comment